პოლიტიკური პარტია თავისუფალი საქართველო

Political Party Free Georgia

19:37:11
19 07 2018
News
The appeal of the opposition parties to the international society
26-06-2017  

To the Secretary General of the Council of Europe,


To the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe,


To the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe,


To the European Parliament, the OSCE


and the representatives of the diplomatic corps in Georgia.


1. As you already know, in 2017, Georgia embarked on its path to the Constitutional reform. According to the project, the direct election rule of the President is being abolished, the Parliamentary electoral system is being modified and powers of the Constitutional Court are being limited. During the work of the Constitutional Commission, the government failed to take into consideration any recommendation from the President, Ombudsman and the opposition. The project of constitutional reform was supported exclusively by the ruling party.


It is worth noting that according to the results of the latest elections (2016), the ruling party was supported by the minority of the electorate (48%), whereas the remaining 52% was not represented in constitutional project.


2. The project for the constitutional reform was sent to the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe. The government made a pledge in advance to take into consideration remarks of the Commission prior to the adoption of the project. Oppositional parties similarly expressed their trust in remarks of the Venice Commission. 


On 19 June, remarks of the Venice Commission were published which were welcomed by the opposition. 

Nevertheless, the ruling party did not only fail to take into consideration the recommendation of the Venice Commission, but also took a single-handed decision to commence the accelerated discussion of a completely different project of the constitutional reform, which aims to hold 2020 Parliamentary elections with mixed (majoritarian-proportional) system and postponement of the adoption of proportional system to the year 2024.


3. In parallel to the constitutional reform, the government is constantly degrading the electoral environment – amendments to the “electoral code” have been initiated, according to which, the rule of formation of the Electoral Administration is being adjusted to the results of the 2016 Parliamentary elections, increasing the quota of the ruling party from one to four members and consolidating the complete political control over the Electoral Administration.

Due to the aforementioned, we, the undersigned oppositional political parties believe, that the so-called new edition of the constitution is undemocratic and does not represent the will of the Georgian people, thus, cannot be considered as a legitimate document.


Therefore, in current circumstances, we believe that the optimal political solution for this crisis is to:

Halt the parliamentary proceedings of the so-called constitutional reform and to return the reworked edition to the Venice Commission for further scrutiny, remarks of which will be incorporated in the final edition of the Constitutional Project, which will, in turn, ensure the wide political and civil consensus.


Otherwise, it is highly likely, that the political process in Georgia will take direction that will hinder both, the democratic development and the long-term stability of our state.

Yours Sincerely,


Oppositional Parties of Georgia:


1. The New Right party


2. New Georgia


3. New Christian-Democrats


4. United Democratic Movement


5. Democratic Movement – United Georgia


6. European Democrats


7. National Forum


8. European Georgia


9. United National Movement


10. Free Democrats


11. Free Georgia


12. Labour Party


13. Patriots’ Alliance


14. Republican Party


15. The State for the People


16. Union of Traditionalists





Back

Speech of Kakha Kukava at UEL
03.07.2015